Founder Jerry Burnell began his career in his basement. With a few used tools he forged the foundation of the business, which still thrives today. In 1979 he opened his first store on Rock Road and began to earn a reputation for fine custom work that won over 50 state and national awards.
Jerry retired in 2014 and his legacy lives on in today’s store, which employs many of the original staff and enjoys continued success.
A History Of Industry Recognition
In 1996 Burnell’s won three out of four “Best of Show” designations for a custom-designed diamond engagement ring. The Burnell’s ring also claimed top honors at the prestigious Jewelers of America national competition in New York, New York. And the achievements continue.
- Burnell designs won “Best of Show” in Kansas Jewelers Association competitions each year from 1999-2000 and in 2002, 2004, and 2005.
- In 2007 Burnell’s was awarded First Place in both top divisions of the Kansas Jewelers Association design competition.
- In 2014 Burnell’s was given the Jeweler’s Choice Award and First Place at the Kansas Jewelers Association design competition.
- 2015 brought more awards at the KJA Jewelry Design competition including Best of Show and Second Place.
- In 2016 Burnell’s won a First Place and Best of Show in the Cad/Cam division for Kansas Jewelers Association
- Burnell’s has been awarded winner of local jewelry store in 2017, 2018 and voted a favorite in 2016, 2019, 2020, and 2021 in the Wichita Eagle Reader’s Choice Awards.
- Burnell’s was voted a Top 50 Designer Retailer for 2016-2017 for the JCK show, and nominated again in 2017
- 2017 included a repeat of Burnell’s First Place and Best of Show in the Cad/Cam division for Kansas Jewelers Association
- In 2017 Burnell’s earned a Second Place in the professional category for Kansas Jewelers Association
- Burnell’s won 2 Honorable Mentions for the national CASE awards in 2017
- 2020 INSTORE Magazine feature: Robin Lies, the fairy godmother of retail jewelry
- Wichita Business Journal feature: 10 Minutes With … Nathan Regan
Expert, Experienced Jewelers
Burnell’s has an impressive record of achievement and success.
Founder Jerry Burnell is past president of Kansas Jewelers Association, has served on the national advisory council of Jewelers of America, was co-chair of the multi-state Jewelry Executives Conference, and has lectured throughout the Midwest.
Burnell’s four jewelry designers continue to create award-winning fine jewelry inside the Burnell’s headquarters at 550 N. Rock Road in Wichita, Kansas.
Our team of expert craftsmen offers a combined 140 years of experience in the making of fine jewelry.
Burnell’s is a member of Jewelers of America and our jewelers have held seats on the Boards of Directors of the Kansas Jewelers Association and Jewelry Executives of America for more than 18 years.
Click to contact us.